1. You don’t actually want a Tiffany’s bracelet for your birthday, nor do you want the blood of innocent men sitting pretty on your ring finger as some twisted symbol of eternity; you don’t value precious metals, you just want to show it off to the captain of the cheer squad. It’s not sentimental if a million other people have it; it doesn’t mean ‘I love you’ if it hurt someone before it travelled to your finger.
2. That promotion doesn’t mean shit to you. The extra 10k might do, and that’s okay - be honest with yourself about what you want & you might start treading an easier path to get there.
3. Everyone is someone else’s prom queen; the one who projects the perfect life, perfect hair, perfect family and perfect job; YOU are someone’s prom queen, and they’re never going to tell you that just like you won’t tell yours how jealous you are when you have no time to get ready in the morning and she’s already sitting in the office smiling. Or whatever it is that she does better than you. You only see your prom queen for a fraction of her life, she’s got shit going on just like you do. Nobody wins the crown without a few tears, and most don’t even get to walk home and put it on their nightstand.
4. It’s actually okay to be late. They will forgive you. “I was halfway through a chapter” is a perfectly reasonable excuse.
5. If your car gets you from point A to point B, it’s a good car. If it can play your favourite music, it’s a great car. Appreciate your great car.
6. The world isn’t going to stop turning if you run out of money tomorrow. Shit’s going to suck, and you’re going to have to sell your favourite dress or your time or your vintage records or your dignity to go and flip burgers, but at the end of the day it’s probably going to be okay. If you do run out of money, worry about keeping a roof above your head; worry about putting food in the mouths of your dependents; don’t worry about your fucking pride - there will always be someone willing to help, even if they can’t help much.
7. Your language matters. No-one needs a sob story, but you have no idea what kind of day that ‘faggot’, that ‘n*gga’, that ‘bitch’ that ‘whore’ is having today. Do you have shitty days? Then they do too. Shut the fuck up for a change, stop thinking about your own agenda, stop assuming that words are yours for the taking, and if I ever hear you tell someone that sticks and stones bullshit, turn those false weapons onto yourself.
8. You really, really don’t want a Tiffany’s bracelet, trust me. You also don’t need a house in the nicest neighbourhood; you need to be safe and comfortable, and you don’t need to be the Upper Side of Anywhere to achieve that.
9. You’re never going to win the lottery.
10. Nobody lays on their deathbed and wishes they’d gone to work more; it’s your loved ones that’ll flash before your eyes in your final moments, so take a second to think about what they mean to you. You’re never going to look back on missed deadlines with regret - what’ll get you is the romantic weekend you said no to, so you could get ahead with some paperwork you won’t even remember by the time it all matters. Drop it all and kiss your family.